Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Blog #3 Organization and Weinberger

Weinberger says, "Reality is multifaceted. There are a lot of ways to slice it. How we choose to slice it up depends on why we're slicing it up." Go back to the thing you described organizing on Tuedsay's blog. How might someone else organize this item? What does how YOU organize it say about what you value and who you are?



As Weinberger explains it: making the decision on how to categorize things, gives the decision maker a great deal of power and authority. When applying this to the different areas of society, it is clear that certain people get this power and authority, and for the most part are in their position because they are skilled at making these choices. However, these decisions could never be the right decision for everyone involved. 
Using my example (see blog #2), it is clear that there is a certain power and authority that I have in deciding how to organize my computer. Someone else wouldn’t be able to make all the choices necessary to organize the files in the best way for me. According to Weinberger, the reason that someone else might organize the file on my computer differently is because each individual views the files differently. While I may put certain files together, other people might want to place those same files in completely different folders. Basically, I have the authority to pick how each file relates to each other, and from this clustering; I have picked a category that I feel represents the two files.
In the end, the way I decided to organize my computer shows which files and categories I think are most important, as evident by the hierarchical set up the folders, the categories I used to compare the files, and how I access these files. Relating back to Weinberger, I have began to question my own order, realizing that simple files, can fit into many categories, regardless of how many times I try to reorganize them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment